Six Cheap and Easy Ways to Feel Beautiful in Your Third Trimester
Image credit: shutterstock.com
Beauty boosts for the days you can no longer see your toes
Has your baby belly been getting the best of you lately? Can’t see your toes? In your third trimester, it is important to take time to rest and relax, but this is also the time we start to feel anxious about how we will be taking care of ourselves, especially once Baby arrives.
1. Try a homemade face mask. There are lots of expensive facial masks out there with ingredients we don’t even know how to pronounce let alone understand what they do. The following two recipes are quick-and-easy masks you can make at home with all-natural ingredients you probably have lying around in your pantry. Give them a try; they will leave your skin soft and glowing (and you don’t even have to worry if you get any in your mouth!):
Banana moisturizing mask
Bananas have work wonders for your skin. They hydrate it and fight acne while reducing age spots and scars. Ideal for all skin types, this mask is especially useful for oil control:
- Mash half of a banana with one tablespoon orange juice and one tablespoon honey.
- Apply to cleansed skin and keep the mixture on for 15 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and moisturize.
Oats and honey nourishing mask
Oats are known for their nourishing properties, and the egg yolks used in this mask are great for helping oily and combination skin:
- Combine one egg yolk, one tablespoon honey, one tablespoon olive oil, and half a cup of oatmeal.
- Apply to cleansed skin and let sit for 15–20 minutes.
- Rinse with lukewarm water and moisturize.
2. Stretch mark fixers. Those dreaded stretch marks and dark lines are a threat to the body image of pregnant women everywhere. As your pregnancy progresses, your skin is getting tighter and more sensitive. Products that help calm and soothe the skin (while fighting stretch marks before they occur) will be a welcome relief. I really like using coconut oil; it is a fabulous moisturizer for your body and hair. Take a look at Wellnessmama.com where she shares 101 uses for coconut oil.
She also shares her recipe for homemade lotion, which is perfect for keeping all your skin issues at bay during your pregnancy. The lotion includes: Almond, coconut, and olive oils, beeswax, vitamin E oil, and shea or cocoa butter. You can even add your choice of essential oils to create a unique and special scent that is entirely your own. Learn how to make your own lotion here.
3. Become a hair model for the day. Are you ready to get a new and improved hairdo before Baby arrives? Most high-end hair salons use models to keep up on educating and developing the precision of their staff. Also, companies like Aveda and Bumble and Bumble have education departments that use hair models for their experienced students to work on during their workshops. You could end up with a several hundred–dollar cut for almost free. Call ahead and expect to be there for most of the day. It will make you feel and look like a million bucks and heads will be turning to check out your new ‘do.’
4. Wear a body-hugging outfit. Don’t hide that beautiful belly and body under too many layers of tent-like clothing. Get out from under your maternity wear and put on a fresh look. Body-hugging styles are very hip and look beautiful on all sizes when they enhance the correct curves, especially your pregnant belly. Some great choices are knee-length dresses in a jersey material or knitwear. You don’t need to buy maternity clothing to find great and affordable finds. Head to your local stores and hit the sale racks. You will find plenty of choices that will show off your baby belly and won’t break the bank.
5. Buy a cute pair of flat shoes. Your feet are probably taking a beating between the baby and your hormones making everything ache. Your third trimester is no time to be wearing heels unless it is entirely necessary. Indulge your shoe fetish and beautify your wardrobe with a new pair of pretty flats. They may be a fun pair of running shoes or a cute pair of ballet flats. Whatever you are looking for, there are so many choices and they will keep your feet happy. Look for end-of-season sales and shop online if you can and save yourself from the crowds and endless walking.
6. You are what you eat and drink! If you want to feel your best and also see it on the outside, remember that it starts from what you put into your body. Hydrate with water often and eat foods rich in vitamins and fiber. A pregnant mom needs to get a lot of protein whether it comes from plants, nuts, or animals. Eat fresh and unprocessed food as whenever possible. Your body and your baby will thank you.
One of my favorite meals is below, and it’s full of all the essential nutrients you need to give you energy and get your skin glowing from the inside out:
Add one banana, two handfuls of blueberries, three tablespoons almond butter, one-fourth cup of chia seeds, a pinch of cinnamon, and milk or a milk substitute to a blender. Blend until smooth.
How do you take yourself into beauty blast-off during your third trimester? Tell us your secret beauty fixes during pregnancy in our Sister Chat.
Rebecca Cherry is an accomplished musician, writer, and creative seeker. She is enjoying her new role as a Solo Mom to her baby girl. You can follow her on Twitter at @CherryRebecca and Facebook at Rebecca Cherry.
Please feel free to contact us with any comments or questions.