What to Wear to Family Court
Simple tips to keep you looking and feeling your best in court
Clothes may be the furthest thing from your mind when you’re involved in a divorce, custody, or child support court appearance. However, knowing what to wear (or what not to wear) could impact how you’re perceived in court. You don’t want to feel like you are wearing a costume, but you want to present the best possible version of yourself and be viewed as a responsible parent. Here are some simple tips to keep you looking and feeling your best for your court date.
- Make sure whatever you choose fits you well and you feel confident and comfortable.
- Be modest. No overly high heels, too short skirts, or low cut necklines. Show that you are a mom with decorum.
- Stay away from brash colors, such as red or hot pink. Consider wearing calming colors, such as blue, white, or pastels.
- Dress up a little, but not too much. Go for something that looks professional but not stuffy. Make sure you look nice, but court is not the place for expensive jewelry or fur coats. You don’t want to seem too extravagant or like you have money to waste.
- Add something personal. Whether it’s a broach your grandmother gave you or a scarf from your best friend, wear something that you reminds you of happier times and supportive people. Let that special item help give you strength as you head into the courtroom.
- Doublecheck. Before you go in, have your lawyer or a friend do a once-over to make sure that your slip isn’t showing and you don’t have spinach in your teeth. Take a deep breath and show them your best self!
Photo Credit: Shutterstock.com
Annette Powers is a Solo Mom who lives in Brooklyn, New York. A communications professional, she writes about divorce, coparenting, and culture in her spare time.
Ashley Volz-Reiss spent several years as a Solo Mom. She has gone on to earn her master’s degree in social work and is now a therapist helping children and families. She’s remarried and keeps busy raising her spirited six-year-old son.
Please feel free to contact us with any comments or questions.